- How old do I need to be to volunteer?
- What time commitment is expected of me as a library or Second Edition Shop volunteer?
- Are there opportunities for School Community Service/Service Learning?
- Do I have to have a set schedule?
- How do I volunteer?
- How long does it take before I can start volunteering?
- Do you accept Court Ordered Community Service volunteers?
Applicants need to be at least 14 and in 9th grade to apply for a volunteer job.
In April, the Summer Reading Program opens applications to students who are at least 12 years old and have completed 6th grade.
Most of our volunteer positions require a 2 to 4 hour shift once a week for at least six months.
During the summer, there are a limited number of summer-only shifts that require a commitment for June, July and August.
The library is a great place to learn what a real job is while at the same time fulfilling School Community Service requirements. Start building your resume by learning new skills and honoring a commitment. To participate, students must be willing to:
- Volunteer once a week for two consecutive hours
- Volunteer for a minimum of six months
- Fill out a Volunteer Application and interview with the Volunteer Manager
- Take responsibility for all paperwork required by the school
Yes! We rely on our volunteers to commit to a set schedule. Over 700 volunteers help with the operation of the Association. Many jobs require the use of specific work areas or equipment, so scheduling is very important.
Please allow 1-2 weeks for application processing and review. If an applicant passes the review, then the Volunteer Services Manager will contact the applicant to schedule an interview. Orientation and training are scheduled after a volunteer has been accepted.
Call for more information: Jennifer Imai, 503-644-0043 ext. 111. Limited staff resources don’t allow for the training and supervision of volunteers who need to volunteer for only a few hours. Cases will be considered individually.