Be an Ambassador for Library Services in Your Community.
By serving on the Cedar Mill & Bethany Community Libraries Association Board of Directors you will:
- Make community access to vital resources and programs possible
- Ensure library development, transparency and accountability
- Gain valuable, hands-on experience and meet fellow library advocates
- Impact the future of literacy in Washington County and beyond
The 11 volunteer members of the Board of Directors are responsible for overseeing the financial and operational performance of the Cedar Mill & Bethany Community Libraries Association (CMBCLA). Three seats will become available this fall.
Qualifications: Board members must be current members of CMBCLA, and must be willing to devote time and effort to Board responsibilities, including fundraising efforts, attendance at library events, and cultivating community contacts. Prospective board members are strongly encouraged to attend a monthly board meeting as an audience member in advance of applying for a board position.
Commitment: Three-year term beginning in October 2019.
Board member responsibilities include
- establishing policies, guidelines and limits
- developing long-range plans
- maintaining a sound financial base and legal accountability for the Association
- financial contributions to the library within personal capabilities
- acting as an ambassador for the library, building relationships with family, social, business and community contacts
Read the CMBCLA Board Member Position Description 2019 (PDF) (DOC) for details. Elections to replace departing board members are normally held at the Annual Association meeting on Tuesday, October 15th.
Applications to join the CMBCLA Board of Directors are due by September 1st, 2019.
- Become a member of the Cedar Mill & Bethany Community Libraries Association (CMBCLA).
- Apply to become a volunteer and note your interest in serving on the board. Current volunteers may contact CMBCL Executive Director, Peter Leonard, at email@example.com or (503) 644-0043 x110 to be added to the list of potential board members.
“I am so proud to be part of a community leader like CMBCLA that touches lives in every age group and socioeconomic status. By making vital resources easily-accessible and cost-free, we remove barriers to opportunity experienced by under-served communities. After volunteering with the libraries’ Community Outreach Program for 4 years, I saw the Board as another valuable way to contribute to an organization that I love. As a Board Member I’ve learned so much about the inner workings of a thriving non-profit and the amount of collaboration required to make it successful. I’ve also enjoyed learning more about library operations and witnessing the progression of valuable initiatives from start to finish. The CMCLA Board of Directors is an incredibly passionate, kind, and wise group of individuals that each contributes a unique perspective to the collective effort.” —Sarah Stettner, Board Member since 2018
“Serving on the Board has been such a great pleasure. Working together, we have spearheaded progress and expansion, ensuring that our libraries remain the heart of our communities long into the future. I have gotten to know our staff and learned so much about how our libraries function; you can be proud of all the innovative work they are doing, especially for our youth. I have also made some lovely new friends.” — Anne Madden, Board President, Board Member since 2011