June is a special time to celebrate Dad, and we can’t think of anything better than snuggling up with some good stories and reading together! Dad’s involvement in reading activities at home encourage children to develop important early literacy skills and a lifelong love of reading.
Here are some fun activity ideas from Reading Rockets :
- Tell stories about your own life or when you were young.
- Talk about the print in your environment. For example, read and talk about road signs or brand names on food containers.
- Check out books of photography or art and talk about the pictures.
- Involve your child in everyday writing tasks like shopping lists, thank you notes.
- When you are doing household projects, describe what you are doing. Use interesting words!
- Ask your child about their day. Engage in conversation that extends simple sentences.