As always, Cedar Mill Libraries staff are ready to help you find the tax publications you need. Here are some useful links to get a jump on tax prep:
- In Washington County: http://www.wccls.org/taxhelp
- Federal Forms & Publications Online: http://www.irs.gov/Forms-&-Pubs
- Find your local IRS office at: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1
- State Forms & Publications: https://www.oregon.gov/DOR/(Department of Revenue)
Services available at Cedar Mill and Bethany Libraries:
- Online access to forms and publications from any public computer in the library. Look for the “Tax Help” link.
- Printing for 10 cents per page. Deposit funds to your library card account at the Self Service station, or pay at the service desk nearest the printer.
- Circulating copies of 1040/1040A Instruction booklets Look for them on the Bestseller shelves at the library.
Be ready to file! Recent changes in IRS rules may affect you.
Find out how at http://irs.gov/GetReady. Highlights in IRS policy changes include:
- Use a ITIN for taxes? They now have expiration dates; some filers may experience delays in processing if an ITIN expires. Get details here: http://IRS.gov/ITIN
- Expecting a refund? Some refunds must be held until mid- to late-February for tax returns that utilize the Earned Income Tax or Additional Child Tax Credit. See details at IRS.gov./GetReady
- Improvements in online security are more rigorous. It helps to be prepared when you file. Learn how: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/secure-access-how-to-register-for-certain-online-self-help-tools
Taxes and Identity Theft: File Early, and Check Your Earning Records You can do two things right now to lower your risk of fraud:
- Don’t wait until April to file: File now with E-File.
- Check your Social Security Statement on a yearly basis to confirm that all your income is correctly reported. Sometimes the first sign of identity theft is reported income that you did not earn. https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/
Taxpayer Advocate Service: http://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/get-help/identity-theft
IRS Identity Protection: https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Identity-Protection