Artistic Bookend Contest
Enter our Artistic Bookend Contest. Open to all ages, prizes will be awarded. Enter Aug. 25 thru Sept. 5. Donated bookends will be auctioned Sept. 20. Read more...
Calling all artists, crafters, builders and book lovers! The Artistic Bookend Contest puts an end to boring bookends, lets you show off your creativity, and supports the Cedar Mill and Bethany Libraries.
Imagine/Decorate/Create a one-of-a-kind bookend as part of the Cedar Mill Library 40th Anniversary Celebration.
Open to all ages, prizes will be awarded at childrens’, teens’, and adult levels.
Event attendees will have the opportunity to vote for the People’s Choice Awards and to purchase bookends by silent auction.
2014 Contest Rules
- Who can enter? Anyone! No age or residence requirements.
To enter, get your bookend and entry form to the Cedar Mill Library, 12505 NW Cornell Road, by 6 pm Friday, Sept. 5, 2014 for full consideration. Event Coordinators, judges, and members of their immediate families and/or households may enter bookends for auction, but qualify only for the People’s Choice awards, not awards selected by the judge panel.
- Requirements. Bookend or bookend sets physical requirements:
• Original work – created, built, modified or decorated by you
• Any medium may be used
• Functional – able to support a book or two (optional “blank” bookends are available at the library check-out desk for $9.00)
• Max dimensions – individual bookend cannot exceed 12”x12”x12”
• Family Friendly – any entry considered offensive or inappropriate will not be accepted
- Entry form. Turn in a completed entry form with each bookend or bookend set entered. The entry form is available at:
• Online at 2014BookendContestEntryForm (print your own)
• In print at Cedar Mill Library and Bethany Branch Library
- Categories. Each entry will qualify in 2 separate categories:
• Format category -- single bookend or bookend set.
• Age category -- Under 13, Age 13-18 or Over 18.
- Ownership. All bookends become property of the Cedar Mill Community Library Association and may be auctioned during the library’s 40th Anniversary Event on Sept. 20, sold online, or in our Second Edition Resale Shop after Sept. 20. Donated bookends and winning auction bids are tax deductible to the full extent provided by law.
- Display. Entered bookends will be on display at the Cedar Mill Library 40th Anniversary event and on the library website. By entering, permission is granted to the library to use pictures for marketing, display or other purposes.
- Judged Awards. Bookends will be judged on overall appearance, design, execution and craftsmanship by a judge panel. A prize for “Most Literary” and “Best in Category” will be awarded for each age and single/set category. The library reserves the right to create and award additional prizes. Prizes will be fabulous gift bags filled with wonderful items - and bragging rights!
- People’s Choice Awards. Everyone attending the Cedar Mill Library’s 40th Anniversary Event can vote for their favorite in each category. Prizes will be fabulous gift bags filled with wonderful items - and bragging rights!
- Disclaimers. Judges may disqualify an entry if it does not comply with the contest rules. Before disqualifying an entry, an attempt will be made to find an appropriate category or to determine if the entry might be modified to make it acceptable. No disqualification will be done without the knowledge and final approval of the Event Coordinator.
- Questions? Email AskUsCML@wccls.org